April 2019 General Membership

General Membership Meeting-AFSCME 404

April 18th 2019

3PM Redmen Club


Adam Castle, Emilio Florez, Ryan Cates, Kurt Crosby, Crystal Kreklow, Antonino Guerrero, Jamie Sheppard, Jake Schoenecker, Matt Stenger, Alex Florez, Al Smetana, Toby Lenard, Mason Meyer, Katelyn Thiry

1.Secretary Report:

Motion to approve March meeting minutes by Adam Castle, 2nd by Matt Stenger. Motion passes

2. Treasurer-Antonino Guerrero:






SAVINGS: $ 79971.16

T-Shirts/Lanyards/Name Tag Reels $13,640.06

SUBMITTED BY: Antonino Guerrero

Motion to approve Treasurer Report subject to audit by Kurt Crosby. 2nd by Steve Wilking. Motion passes

3. Correspondence: SEPC May 3rd. Supplemental Negotiations are May 28, 29, and 30. 14 people attending from 404

MSH Meeting Minutes: https://www.union404.com/news/april-2019-msh-meet-and-confer

MSOP Meeting Minutes: https://www.union404.com/news/april-2019-msop-meet-and-confer

4. New Business:

5. Old Business:

6. Items from the membership: Crosby-Intermittent language. I made a call to John Westmorland of council 5. Interpretation is similar to what we have. Intermittents never to receive benefits. Excludes 3 classes. Why exclude and then include in the bottom. 67 days means employed. Working days, not eligible. Reason is institutions were hiring full time and dividing among 4 employees. Appointing authority shall when they anticipate. Look back in May to determine if they have met criteria, then are no longer ours. He quoted others that said intermittents don’t have a schedule. Only place that gets confusing if HR actually looks back may 1st. Affects people behind the 2 people that it affects. 3 people here that are affected on NOCs. John said they are there for a reason. If it was intended differently it would say that. These people coming back to work after being gone 5 years which is kicking us out of our days off. If you don’t pay your dues every month and then come back and get everything, they don’t get to come back and get everything.

If you have any issues for the problem solving committee or in general please email any local 404 E Board member.

7. Good and Welfare:

8. Officer Reports:

President: Ryan Cates-             Attended the Forensic Safety Committee.


Went to Interest Based Problem Solving meeting. We had two meetings and discussed what will happen with the HSSS's in Transitions when the structural reorganization happens. We decided that at this time, they will remain HSSS's, but the issue can be brought up at a later date if the members in FTS decide they are interested in becoming FSS's.


Attended Forensic Meet and Confer.  Management informed us that they will not separate the weekend vacation slots for LPN's in Bartlett and the MSH building. Management denied our request for uniform boots and jackets for GMW's, stating that there is no need to provide them boots because the safety officer says the work they do does not require them and they do not need jackets because they can wear their own. Management told us that units in MSH will be grouped into "groves" and they are hiring more RNAS's for these groves. We asked for a response to our request for LPN's and RN's to be able to mutual- management said they need to talk with MNA.  We asked about Old Center parking restriction- we were told the signs have been removed and no parking lot is reserved for specific staff. We asked for 2 staff to always be used on hospital coverage because hospital staff are not allowed to give our members breaks- management wants to look into this. We discussed Atlas and the overtime offering process. We asked for an increase of vacation slots for memers on NOCS in FTS- management will get back to us. We asked why patients that have been in MSH for years and have a history of assaults are being placed on the Admissions unit when it is not meant for violent patients- management denied knowledge of why this has happened. Asked if there was a change in policy that allowed items that are not factory sealed to come into the secure perimeter in MSH- management is not aware of any changes. Brought up an instance where a staff who got sick was lectured and belittled by the SOD about wanting to go home- management says they will take care of it.


Went to St Paul to lobby legislators about issues that affect our Local membership.


Attended Day on the Hill. 


Attended Weekly check-ins


Filed multiple grievances and sat investigations.


               Talked with members in multiple work areas and listened to their concerns.


Presented and argued grievances.


Became frustrated with management.


Communicated information to E-Board members about issues facing the Local.


Chaired the Executive Board Meeting


Chaired the General Membership Meeting.


VP: Matt Stenger- For the last month we have been meeting with members of Management at our problem solving meeting to discuss transition switching job titles to FSS. In those discussions it was mutually agreed that the members in the work area didn’t want to switch job titles. We are looking for topics to bring up for our next problem solving meeting. So far in those meeting we have address what makes you late for work (decided when keys are pulled or badge scanned into the work area), Camera usage for 1:1’s and job classification changes for transition.


VP: Eric Hesse- MSOP Legislative Update: In the House, the minority party unsuccessfully tried to strip the increased funding from MSOP four times on Thursday, April 25th during the house floor session when debating the Omnibus Health and Human Services Finance Bill. In the Senate, MSOP is not even included in their finance bill. So it looks like our budget and safety will be held up in negotiations between the two legislative bodies. Please call your State Senator and encourage them to add MSOP into the Health and Human Services Finance Bill and support our safety as we fear that if we don’t get the funding, our low staff levels will be maintained or worsen.


Contract Bargaining Update: Please sign up to Member Link to get the latest updates on our state contract bargaining. It is on the right side of the home screen under “Quick Links”. The address is: https://members.afscmemn.org/


As a reminder to staff, please keep up on your accruals, especially sick time. If you call in sick and don’t have the accruals to cover it, management will investigate you and more than likely you will receive a discipline.


As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.


In solidarity,

Eric Hesse

Vice President – Steward Coordinator


Executive Board: Jake Schoenecker- This month I have sat many investigations and attended the union monthly meeting. I also helped some members understand what we do as E board members on a monthly basis when he asked.

Executive Board: Chief Steward Emilio Florez- We have been working on many different things this month. It was decided in our IBPS meeting that transition HSSS’s would not be getting promoted to SC’s because the majority had decided against it. New topic is still up for discussion.
I will be out of work for 6+ weeks beginning Monday the 29th of April. I will have limited access to my email. For any immediate needs please contact Steve Wilking or Ryan Cates. I will be on campus for meetings and supplemental negotiations and a few other times but most my work will be from home.
I attended all meetings this month there were good discussions and issues on Atlas. Please see meeting notes.
We are planning a couple more site visits and are looking for better broadband alternatives to help livestream Gen. Membership meetings.
We had a few OT distribution and inversing grievances this month.
We also have a few cases in arbitration we are awaiting the results from.
That’s all I have for report for this month.

Emilio Florez III

Executive Board: Chief Steward Steve Wilking-      Greetings Everyone! 

     Lots to talk about this month.  I attended the usual meetings….. Weekly Check-ins, interest based problem solving, safety committee, labor management committee, meet and confer, e-board meeting and general membership meeting.  I know…. How exciting to hear what meetings I’ve attended!! Now onto the great stuff…. What did ya talk about!

I’ll give ya my public service announcement then get to the juicy stuff.  There are a lot of investigations going on.  Make sure you are documenting!  Also, remember there are eyes in the sky and management will use that video for or against you!  Also, watch what you say.  You never know who is listening.  It just might get you in trouble.  So…. Please be respectful.  It’s the easy thing to do. 

Now the juicy stuff!  Management and Labor have met and in a collaborative fashion…. It was agreed upon that HSSS from transition will stay HSSS. 

LPN vacation slots for Bartlett hall.  That will not change.  However, Roxanne stated they will look at adding other vacation slots throughout the week. 

GMW’s and high visibility shits….. There is further clarification coming.  To my understanding you need to wear the high vis when you’re in a roadway.  You don’t need to wear it cleaning a toilet.  Check the General Membership minutes and your supervisor for more clarification. 

Atlas – Oh boy…. Where do I go from here?  1st things first.  12-8 shift will not be eligible for subsequent shift due to 30 min. contract language.  Also, 12-8 will not be investable due to that same language.  This was stated at meet and confer straight from Scott.  Check those meeting minutes.

Atlas continued- Some of our members are submitting for partial shifts of vacation.  When submitting it approves for a partial shift but when it comes to “POSTING” the shift then moves from a partial vacation to a full shift of vacation.  So please make sure your checking on this so you’re not getting assigned for a full shift of vacation.  Note:  When submitting for a partial shift.  Make sure you are hitting the “SPLIT” button on the bottom left.  This will bring up another box to where you can specify your time.  If you just put time in the comments and not hitting the split button….. you may get the full shift of vacation.  If you have any questions please follow up with scheduling department and they can walk you through it step by step. 

Overtime…..This topic is all over the place.  Grievances are flying in.  Make sure you’re not getting skipped.  Atlas has been known to put people in the wrong seniority order…. Omit you from OT and so on.  So…. If this happens…. Let me know and I’ll be more than happy to file a grievance for you.  Secondly, If you are offered preassigned OT…. The AODS department IS NOT calling to offer you a longer shift if one comes available.  Example….. Most of our OT is 6.5 hrs.  If an 8 hr. shift comes open you may not get that shift.  Also, they are not letting you go in order of seniority either.  We will continue to meet with Management with this issue. 

Lastly, please bring up your concerns to your union rep, President, Vice-Presidents, Chief Stewards so that we can bring your concerns to the table.  We can and we will advocate for you!  We just did it with the HSSS in transition.  So please…. Bring us those issues so we can play my favorite song.  I’ll let ya think on what song that is!

Your Humble Chief Union Steward,

Steve Wilking


Executive Board: Chief Steward Molly Kennedy- This month I attended MSOP meet and confer and New Employee Orientation.  I also answered quite a few question questions about OT and attended Negotiations Assembly.  I will be attending the State Employee Policy Committee Meeting on May 3rd.  I will give a report on that next month. 


Molly Kennedy

MSOP Chief Steward


Executive Board: Chief Steward Marvin Sullivan-

Executive Board: Jamie Sheppard- I attended MSOP Meet and Confer, E-Board Meeting, and the General Membership Meeting. I will also be attending Negotiations May 3rd in Minneapolis. I answered some questions about the MOU on the Student Loan Reimbursement. Please remember to forward all of your grievances to me, as well as the outcomes for ALL steps. Also, don’t forget to bring forward Good and Welfare items to myself and Kurt Crosby. If you have any questions about anything please let us know. We cannot help you if we do not know what is going on.


In Solidarity,


Jamie Sheppard, E-Board


CS Facility Support: Stacey Mueller- Nothing at this time

Chief Steward MSH / CRP / Nursing Nights: Kurt Crosby- Filed many grievances, and I have been working on clarification of the contract in several areas. I have attending meet and confer and the normal officer meetings. Will be working the week of 4-29 on Supplemental bargaining for local 404.  There has been an uptick in injury’s to staff, please be sure and advocate for yourself and your well-being. As always…any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to send emails or call…I will do my best to steer you in the right direction.


Crystal Kreklow: Council 5 is moving to direct dues. Away from dues check off. Everyone please sign up for direct dues on AFSCME memberlink. The site will then notify the local who will then notify the state to discontinue deducting from your paycheck.

Motion to Adjourn by Cates. 2nd by Kurt. Motion Passes

Adjourned at 338pm