10/16/14 Local 404 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Chuck Hottinger, Tim Headlee, Marvin Sullivan, Eric Hesse, Ryan Cates, Luke Frederick, Adam Castle, Amanda Mathiowetz, Stacey Mueller, Beau Drouillard, Marvin Sullivan

1. Secretary’s Report: No changes to be made on September’s General Membership Minutes. Motion to accept by Luke Frederick, 2nd by Chuck Hottinger, motion passed.

2. Treasurer-Connie Anderson: Motion to review next month by Chuck Hottinger, 2nd by Luke Frederick. Motion passed. Treasurer report to come for month of September. STATEMENT OF INCOME AND EXPENSES FOR MONTH ENDING September 2014 CASH BALANCE BEGINNING OF MONTH: $ 84085.59 INCOME FOR THE MONTH: $ 5683.39 EXPENSES FOR THE MONTH: $ 25200.59 CASH BALANCE ENDING OF MONTH: $ 64568.14 SUBMITTED BY: Connie Anderson

3. Correspondence: • Looking to do phone banking within our local Friday, October 24th from 11am – 3pm. This would involve calling those members in Local 404 that Council 5 has not been able to contact, getting their contact information updated, and trying to get a picture of what the votes will look like in November. If you are interested please contact Tim Headlee or Molly Kennedy.

4. New Business: • Clark Johnson attended this meeting and spoke/listened to the members present. • Did not have an MSH Meet & Confer this month due to a scheduled mediation. The mediation went really well per Tim Headlee and Chuck Hottinger. Hoping to see some real change coming. • Chuck Hottinger will be attending a meeting for Term 9 October 17th. At the last meeting management’s mind set in the beginning was that statute changes were not within the scope of the committee. The consensus now is that as Rule 36 is a state statute, nothing is off the table. Rule 36 (Enacted in 1982) was initially intended for a facility of 16 beds and does not fit our facility or our mission. The Term 9 Committee has a lot of overlap with the OSHA Mediation now in progress. The success of the picket job action and the OSHA complaint has led to where we are at this point. • Vote on delegates for negotiations. Local 404 was assigned the following delegate strength: - Unit 2 Craft: Allowed 1 Delegate, Paul Schwichtenberg uncontested - Unit 3 Service: Allowed 1 Delegate, Randy Erickson uncontested - Unit 4 Health: Allowed 13 Delegates, Molly Kennedy, Stacey Mueller, Connie Anderson, James Hemshrot, Amanda Mathiowetz, Tim Headlee, Chuck Hottinger, Ryan Cates, Matt Stenger, Mike Homer, Adam Castle, Eric Hesse, and Marvin Sullivan - All uncontested - Unit 6 Clerical: Allowed 1 Delegate, Jean Sandland uncontested - Unit 7 Technical: Allowed 1 Delegate, Luke Frederick uncontested Motion for those uncontested to attend negotiations by Chuck Hottinger, 2nd by Eric Hesse. Motion passed.

5. Old Business: • Lanyards and pulleys: The order has not been done yet. Would like to copy the order from last time. Request that lanyards and pulleys be separate because the pulleys break often. 6. Items from the membership: • Continued worries about staff safety for CARE employees. Requested that Lisa Hobday get an OSHA 300 log from 2010 to present. This is a log of workplace injuries. • Staff at CARE would like a barrier separating the front desk area from clients because clients have a history of reaching over the counter or jumping it. Patrick Rodning presented an idea to rotate staff between manning the front desk and charting at a back computer. Per CARE staff this will not solve the issues at hand. Charting will be difficult to get done and breaks will not happen. • At the Labor Management Meeting for CARE/CBHH management stated that, “Staff feel much more confident than 6 months ago.” Per staff this is not true. Staff feel much more unsafe than 6 months ago. **Reminder that EAP cannot release information. • Can we get more line staff on committees like the Safety Committee? Staff can be appointed. There are line staff that has been in contact. Tom Christenson is putting a group together specifically for line staff. There have maybe been two meetings and is not called a committee, it is called Violence Prevention.

7. Officer Reports Presidents Report:

VP- Chuck Hottinger At this point we have many irons in the fire on several fronts. We are at a critical point with the OSHA Complaint progress with the Mediation effort started. The Conditional License for MSH has led to the formulation of a Term 9 Committee to create a report to Licensing that is due in January 2015. The two efforts have extensive overlap and members in common. The combination of the two could lead to extensive changes within the Forensic Division. September 2014 was the worst month of 2014 in regards to staff injuries and our drive to create a safer workplace is gaining momentum. The issue of staff safety is not limited to MSH and is in need of attention at the St Peter CARE facility as well. The day to day business of the Local has been steady with a number of disciplines and grievances processed and union officers attending a steady stream of meetings with management in all three divisions (SOFS, MSOP, and Adult Mental Health). The Minnesota Management and Budget division has issued a hiring freeze for all of state operated services. Management hopes to have direct care staff exempted from the freeze as MSH is 31 positions short of full staffing of SC/SCLs at this point. The freeze has stopped anticipated hiring’s at the CARE and CBHH facilities as well. At this point we have no other information on this. Intentional staff shortages can and will lead to restrictions on vacation availability that will have to be addressed as well. Management can contractually restriction vacation but any attempt to eliminate it will be addressed immediately. With today’s Delegate election, we are ready to begin the negotiation process for the 2015-2017 contract. With any luck we should be able to address the Forensic Supplemental and pursue pay inequities this winter. In Solidarity, Chuck

VP- Molly Kennedy: This month at MSOP meet and confer we discussed looking at the how we are granting vacations, Control Center 1st watch and coverage in that area, lack of radios, and mentioning disciplines in our annual reviews. Please see www.union404.com for details on what was discussed. We had a new steward training on the 17th we had 4 people attend Jacob Cooney, Melissa Dimmick, Tom Farinacci and Nicki Buechner. Please help me in welcoming them to the steward group. We will be having an Advanced Steward Training coming soon with the date to be announced. If you are looking to be more involved with upcoming union activities please contact myself or Tim Headlee.

Executive Board: Luke Frederick

Executive Board: Adam Castle Nothing new to report.

Executive Board: James Hemshrot Have had a couple grievances. Won a grievance with bidding issues,

CS MSH/Transition: Ryan Cates Have had OT grievances. I had a termination laudermill overturned. There have been issues with vacation being denied. The scheduler is now going out to 42 days instead of the 28 day posted schedule.

CS CBHH / CARE & MSOP: Matt Stenger Management is looking into filling 1 .8 HST position and 1 overnight LPN position. They are also looking into hiring an agency nurse to help with the wholes that would be left in the schedules due to weekends and holidays. Rochester CBHH will be looking into replacing a HST and .8 LPN that recently quit. If someone is to be inversed they are to call Lynda if no answer they are to follow up by calling Pat Rodning. We also brought up that schedules should not be posted with hole in them like it was the case on September 13. Management brought up that therapeutic intervention was being implemented and they would be starting doing practice scenarios during all staff meetings starting in about 6 weeks. We asked to have debriefing after incidents but pat stated that research says debriefings create more traumas in some cases. We stated it doesn’t have to be full blown debriefings just something simple after a stressful situation. We also talked about how staff feels about taking clients into the courtyard after dusk and the risk for elopement. Pat stated if someone runs to call the police and try and give the direction they were headed, do not chase the client. Lastly it was talked about .8 and how we would like them to schedule people up to full time in order of seniority and if they want to be scheduled up to full time. I also asked if there was going to be any schedule changes from the current practice Lynda replied with “NO I want to keep staff” referring to keeping them working every other weekend.

CS FACILITY SUPPORT: Mike Homer Nothing new to report.

CS Nursing Home: Eric Hesse

CS MSH / CRP / Nursing Nights: Shannon Pech

Motion to adjourn by Eric Hesse at 5:47 pm, 2nd by Luke Frederick