October 2018 MSH Meeting Minutes

AFSCME Labor Management MSH

October 18th 2018 1230PM

Administration Building


Attendance: Adam Castle, Matt Stenger, Crystal Kreklow, Ryan Cates, Emilio Florez, Steve Wilking, Scott Melby, Carol Olsen, Lisa Vanderveen, Scott Melby, Alli Kuhlman, Denise Considine


Reflection/Celebration: Melby-started diversity committee and had first meeting. Included staff from different jobs on campus in the meeting. Carol-Had a good turnout for the flu clinic. Please remind staff to get their mantoux checks completed by October 31st.

Standing Agenda Items:

  1. OSHA Information-Handouts from Alli.
  2. 2.      Overtime Information-Handouts from Alli. Scott-Our inversing is lower than previous summers. I feel this is accurate information since June. Steady downward trend.

Old Business:


  1. 1.      Expense Reimbursement: Carol-Nancy Thomas is looking at current policy at MSOP and looking at how we adapt it to our practices. Looking at employee reimbursement, if it’s beyond 35 miles from home and within a certain timeline. Many rules around it is why we stopped doing that in the past. At the time we were spending over 700 a month. Matt-MSOP doesn’t do the entire amount as state contract. It’s a portion. They developed their own policy around it.
  2. 2.      Security Services Update: Matt-concerned the same people would be inversed before all staff were trained. Cates-I’m up to date on that.
  3. 3.      RPA Dress Code: Carol-you asked us to reconsider allowing them to wear casual dress. We will do that. We will send them a dress code policy for what is allowed and what is not. We will allow the RPAs to do that. All staffing within nursing definition. We had defined 4 colors for scrubs and it was requested any color could be used. Emails went out that we will allow that. They can also wear the scrub jackets as long as the entire outfit matches. Matt-if they say you can wear gray. There are different shades of gray. Maybe it needs to be more specific. Carol-I will bring that back to them. Would like to stay with the same colors we had from the get go but I will clarify that. There was a request for holiday colored scrubs. We said yes, on holidays defined by the state.
  4. 4.      LPN Request Vacation similar to MNA: Alli-we don’t have vacation pools where RNs and LPNs compete for vacation spots. There are spots designated for each, so it doesn’t match the language. We focused on the language and competing spots. As of now we don’t have any trying to compete for one spot.
  5. 5.      Sally Port by carport for ICS at Nursing Home: Scott-I talked with supervisors and if we have people from two exits, it complicates it for security services. It works faster for control center link sally port as opposed to carport. Its two doors compared to four. If there are some areas that are confused, we can do drills. Let me or Roessler know. Nights is aware of it. Carol-drilling is a great opportunity to evaluate these things. Steve-Master only has one staff on overnights as well.


New Business:



  1. 1.      Kitchen SNV Process: Steve-Scott Reed discussed if they would allow shift in progress to happen. To our understanding it would be granted if there are no additional needs. Concern is if someone wants shift in progress on weekends. Kitchen staff heard Deb say she would not allow it no matter what. We are asking if you grant it, grant it, if not, don’t. We ask there is a consistent process. Carol-I will follow up
  2. 2.      Master Control Radio Issues: Cates-We discussed this with you. When they worked on antennas, the muffles got worse in master control. Carol-any thoughts what is causing it? Steve-I do know they are looking at ghosting the program and troubleshoot to see if it’s a hardware issue. They were doing that yesterday. When they first changed the antennas, some radios would come in clearly and some sound muffled or distorted. Scott-they are updating the radios and have to hook up each one individually. Maybe that could be causing it? Cates-I haven’t had any reports from anyone outside of security services. Carol-we will follow up and let you know before the next meeting when we know more.
  3. 3.      Tamarack Issues: Cates-one patient. When I looked a couple weeks ago. There were things going on between clinical and staff about property. Since he has been there, there has been 29 assaults by him. What is being done to limit this? There are problems between the team. I was told there is a committee? Scott-there are a lot of people working on his issues. Cates-What can we do. We are putting staff in harms way and they are being investigated left and right. Scott-there are a variety of issues. We can’t look at him and anticipate where he is at. Overnights he has increased his activity. We have specialists within and outside of MSH to engage him and stop him from doing these actions. I can’t change what happens in the courts but we need to find a way to keep us safe. There have been heated conversations between staff and I think that has gotten better. We have to allow him to live and engage him. Carol-there are current charges and court ordered a rule 20 assessment. We have to do that and submit to the courts, then the next action is up to the courts. I highly doubt it is someone they will charge. We have to find a way to make him successful. Cates-was it the same expert as O’Leary? Carol-No. Mr. Baker. That team is being guided really well. When we have someone who does 4th degree assault, we involve OSI and they do their investigation and gives to county attorney and they decide if they want to charge. They did, at his appearance they defended it by saying he is not competent. At that point we realized you can’t hang your hat on this guy getting jail time. Cates-any way to not put staff in vulnerable position? Carol-I saw on documentation that staff slowed down and garbed up. Told him to go to his room and he did. We don’t want staff to put yourselves in harms way. Wait until you are prepared and have a plan.

Advocate isn’t part of the process at all. We don’t want them involved between staff and clients. Scott-unit director first.  I expect client to resolve with staff first. Then I will meet with them. Then it goes to carol or Dr. Horachan. Spruce is winning the grievance lottery right now.

  1. 4.      Policy on Staff Searches Changes: Cates-primary issue is it gives supervisor the right to do pat searches on staff. Carol-always been the case. Cates-I don’t see it ever being ok for them to ever put hands on staff. Carol-always been in the policy. I don’t think we have ever done that. But it’s nothing new. Scott-we can look at it and see if there was a change. I’m not aware, I appreciate the concern. Matt-we could just change it to a wand like MSOP.
  2. 5.      IOD Process: Cates-If someone is injured form 1 day to 2 days and doesn’t meet IOD criteria, do they get paid? Denise-IOD is for client aggression. On the day of injury or any injury from client aggression it is IOD. If its patient assault, that is a work comp question. Sometimes takes a while to determine if its client aggression. Cates-I was told if only out for 1 or 2 days. IOD covers that and doesn’t affect accruals? Denise-I will check on that. I think it does though. Matt-can you collect short term while collecting IOD? Denise-No. You can’t put in for short term if its work comp.




Cates-patrol is required to use channel one. No one else listens besides master control. If there is an issue. No one else will hear them. Steve-department was split on what channel to use due to console issue and traffic. We are advocating channel 1 isn’t the best choice. Emilio-rover is busy doing tasks but on channel one, units wont know what has and hasn’t been completed. No reason to be on channel one for anything. It limits our abilities and responses. Steve-only cumbersome traffic is patrol radioing to master control when they are clearing buildings, etc. Emilio-we now have to cross patch. But sticking in master control is still a problem. Steve-ask that you reconsider. Matt-we don’t have much radio traffic. Carol-We will follow up on that.

Adjourned at 119PM