General Membership 4.20.23

General Membership Meeting-AFSCME 404

April 20, 2023



Erin Wiederich, Ryan Cates, Cory Moon, Ben Zarn, Amy Fast, Sherry Kristensen, Mike Hohenstein, Kyle Heinze, Steaed Doehring, Tim Sevcik

My apologies for anyone that I missed via zoom.

1.Secretary Report:

Motion to approve meeting minutes made by Erin Wiederich. 2nd by Ben Zarn. Motion passes.

2. Treasurer-Antonino Guerrero:






SAVINGS: $ 153181.84

SUBMITTED BY: Antonino Guerrero was not able to attend the April meeting so he will present the treasurer report for March at next month’s meeting. 

3. Correspondence: 

4. Old Business: 1. State Employee Policy Committee Convention is May 5th- if interested in going email Eric Manriquez

2. 12-hour shifts update for forensics: The positions have been posted and management was excited to announce how much interest there was in these shifts and that they will all be filled. Management plans to move onto other groves with 12-hour shift opportunities.

3. Member chat group/page: A new Facebook page was created for Local 404 communications to be put out and won’t have much back and forth.  The Facebook page was renamed to “chat group” and it is still there for questions and concerns from membership.  

4. Moving money investment – A member would like us to invest our savings money to gain more interest. We currently have our savings account in a variable interest rate bearing account. The discussion was made that the membership would like to wait until contracts are signed before we tie up the money in a CD with a fixed term. Research needs to be completed on what the best rates we can get with no longer than an 18-month term. Ryan announced that we cannot invest in anything where we might lose money. Motion to table it until negotiations are done made by Kyle. 2nd and motion passes

5. Money for NOCs achievement awards-The money for achievement awards was paused for all areas at the same time. The achievement award money was never tagged for the specific group of people.  The contract says that you can have a team award and an individual award, but HR says that it’s an either-or situation, but they don’t have any money for any of them currently.  Member asked about the state surplus and the surplus is not budgetary. Labor will put it in a data request on who has received the award this fiscal year at the member’s request.  

5. New Business:

1. Online steward training was requested by a member. Ryan will investigate this as an option.

2. Negotiations Update/Pay inequity: talking about contract language and nothing else yet. Pay inequities were presented this past Monday and listing of all the job classifications that were included: from Unit 2 Carpenters, Painters, Plumbers, Welders, from Unit 3 Food Service Worker, General Maintenance Worker, Groundskeeper, General Repair Worker, from unit 4 Chemical Dependency Program Assistant, Human Services Support Specialist, Human Services Technician, Residential Program Lead, Security Counselor, Security Counselor Lead, Work Therapy Assistant, Work Therapy Technician from Unit 6 OAS intermediate, OAS Series, and from unit 7  Dental Assistant, Dental Hygienist, and Pharmacy Technician

6. Items from the membership:

1. 12 Hour shift- Member asked if one grove doesn’t get their 12-hour shifts filled, will NOC’s get their four 10-hour shifts. The union leadership was told that they need a minimum of 9 extra staff for NOCs to go back to ten-hour shifts.  Management is assessing as they go with the postings of the 12-hour shifts. Least senior people will more than likely be getting bumped to NOCs in forensics. 

2. Member asked about whom to contact to see if Ironwood could get cleaned up for staff to use if staff don’t want to travel back home between shifts when working overtime.  Member will bring concern to management. 

3. Asked about the supervisor that was trying to union bust and the union leadership hasn’t heard anything but there continues to be trouble with him.

7. Good and Welfare:  Pamela Gersemehl retired from the kitchen after 30+ years of service. Congratulations to Pamela!!  

8. Officer Reports:

President: Ryan Cates-

VP: Matt Stenger-

VP: Eric Hesse-

Executive Board: Chief Steward Rick Pitts-

Executive Board: Chief Steward Eric Manriquez -  

Executive Board: Chief Steward Nick Weerts- The last month in MSOP was a busy one! I attended our monthly Labor Management meeting, as well as facilitated our New Member Orientation & later the seniority Lot Draw. There were 16 new employees in the joint NEO class, so be sure to welcome those folks as they make their way to their new work areas across campus.

I sat 3 investigations for staff, presented a 3rd Step Grievance for a recent Non-Cert (outcome unknown at this current time) and oversaw the Settlement for a positive outcome for a recent 3rd Step Grievance that resulted in a discipline reduction for staff.

I’ve also addressed a number of issues/concerns with management on the behalf of staff in a few different work areas. While these meetings keep me busy, they have resulted in positive change for staff.


I was able to spend time visiting various staff across many MSOP work areas to check-in and connect with staff to hear any concerns or issues. This will continue in the coming weeks/months as I’m able and I can always be reached by phone/email at other times as well.


The Local 404 Facebook Chat Group is no longer overseen by our E-board, however we do have a new page- AFSCME Local 404 Communication Group- where we will be sharing important news for members, without the additional “clutter” that often accompanied the other page. Please join for news and updates if you are a social media user. Setting up your account on Member Link through the AFSCME website is also another great way to keep up with the ongoing contract negotiations, etc.  If you haven’t created an account already, I would encourage you to do so--


We have temporarily acquired consistent HR staff, which has been nice to get some outstanding issues wrapped up. The generic emails are as followings

Contact for HR is [email protected]

Leave Management requests (FMLA) should go to [email protected]


Communication continues to be key to our success & strength, so Members are encouraged to reach out with concerns/observations. Please see for all meeting minutes.


Onward & Forward!

Nick Weerts

MSOP Chief Steward



Executive Board: Chief Steward Marvin Sullivan-

Executive Board: Chief Steward James Kibler

Executive Board: Chief Steward Cory Moon- The past month I have sat Multiple investigations, filed several new grievances as well as advanced some to the next step, been fielding questions to the best of my ability and with the information I have, Filled out a card for a member of Food Services who has 37 years total service including some part time work.

Executive Board: Chief Steward Steve Wilking – I attended meetings, fielded questions, and helped people with union stuff. Ask away if ya have any questions. 

Executive Board: Jamie Sheppard-

Executive Board: Mike Hohenstein-

Executive Board: Steaed Doehring-For the month of April

I attended Day On The Hill and spoke with legislators about our need for higher wages.

I presented at New Member Orientation, Attended MSOP Labor Management, E-Board and General Membership meetings.

I am also attending the Burton Fundraiser.

I have spoken with a lot of members about various topics, reach out to me with any questions.


Annie Jakacki-

Motion to adjourn by Erin, 2nd by Cory. Motion Passes