General Membership 11.17.22

General Membership Meeting-AFSCME 404

November 17, 2022



Ryan Cates, Eric Manriquez, Matt Stenger, Steaed Doehring, Jamie Schwartz, Antonino Guerrero, Cory Moon, Erin Wiederich, James Kibler, Lisa Brandenburg, Robert Glancy, Annie Jackaki, Cassy Rydell, Eric Hesse, Sherry Kristensen, Tim Sevcik, Ben Zarn

My apologies for anyone that I miss via zoom or who may have walked in after the meeting started.

1.Secretary Report:

Motion to approve meeting minutes by Matt Stenger. 2nd by Eric Manriquez. Motion passes.

2. Treasurer-Antonino Guerrero:






SAVINGS: $ 152049.61

SUBMITTED BY: Antonino Guerrero

Motion to accept subject to audit by Matt Stenger.  2nd by Eric Hesse. Motion passes.

3. Correspondence:  Delegates for Negotiations Assembly on January 27, up to 12 for unit 4, 16 names submitted so voted on by all members that were present at the meeting. 

4. New Business: 1.  Last month, it was brought up to increase the per diems and it was tabled until November.  A motion was passed to table it until December as the meeting minutes weren’t posted in time for members to read about the proposal.

2. Masks- members want to stop wearing masks. Management is wanting the levels to be below high before they agree to get rid of the masks. Patient areas are classified as anywhere a patient could be so they will have to be worn everywhere; at MSOP it has been defined differently.  Leave up to the members discretion.

5. Old Business:

6. Items from the membership:

1. Forensics Schedules- They are piloting a schedule in grove D to define what the schedule will look like. It would be 3 early 3 late and 1 12-hour shift.  Union leadership is not trying give negative feedback until we see the details because don’t want to seem closed off to the new scheduling pattern. 

2. Food Banks and Toys for Tots donations- Proposal to make a donation of a total $1,000 to the five charities that we have in the past made by Eric Hesse. Jamie Schwartz seconded the motion and motion passed.

3. Grove A- LPN and HSSS’s getting placed in spots that they shouldn’t be especially on north campus.  It happens during NOC shift differently than during the day.  Four minimum on north campus isn’t being followed.  Management would like to look at the specific examples and then get a response.  Three shouldn’t be a minimum on north campus as far as staff are concerned.  Tried to get management to agree to a consistent process so that it doesn’t continue to happen.

4. Delegates for Assembly that were elected were the following: Eric Hesse, Jake Schoenecker, Jamie Schwartz, Steve Wilking, Eric Manriquez, Ryan Cates, Steaed Doehring, James Kibler, Antonino Guerrero, Ron Herda, Matt Stenger, and Nick Durham. Alternates will be Toby Leonard, Ben Zarn, Cory Moon. IF a delegate is unable to attend then the alternate will be given notice so that they will be able to take that person’s spot for the assembly that they’re not able to attend. Al Smetana Jr. is a delegate from unit 203.

7. Good and Welfare: Retirement for a food service worker after 35 years.  Retirement for counselor at MSOP and a bereavement for another MSOP counselor.

8. Officer Reports:

President: Ryan Cates- This past month I have…

 Attended Forensic Meet and Confer- Notes are attached to the meeting minutes.

 Attended MSOP Meet and Confer- Notes are attached to the meeting minutes.

Attended Forensic Safety Committee.

 Filed multiple grievances and sat investigations.

 Talked with members in multiple work areas, answered their questions and listened to their concerns.

 Presented and argued grievances.

 Communicated information to E-Board members about issues facing the Local.

We continue to push for changes to the vacation process that will allow more members to take vacation when they want to.

  If any member of Local 404 feels they are not being represented by our Union, please let me know. We cannot fix problems if we do not know there is a problem.

 We ask that all members who are interviewed as non-subjects in an investigation, request Union representation. If management refuses, then members should refuse to answer questions. Participation in investigations is completely voluntary and they cannot coerce you to answer their questions. We need to do this to compel management to discontinue their practice of refusing to allow Union representatives into investigations.

VP: Matt Stenger-This month have attended MSOP and MSH meet and confers. Also sat a couple of investigations along with filing grievances.

VP: Eric Hesse-

Executive Board: Chief Steward- Rick Pitts-

Executive Board: Chief Steward - Eric Manriquez-  

Executive Board: Chief Steward Nick Weerts-

Executive Board: Chief Steward Marvin Sullivan-

Executive Board: Chief Steward James Kibler-

I filed multiple step 1 grievances for fmhp/nursing home, sat an investigation, and attended meet/confer as well as the eboard/general membership meetings.



Executive Board: Chief Steward Cory Moon-

Executive Board: Chief Steward Steve Wilking- Took many phone calls, sat investigations, continued to do union work, and became part of the negotiation team-will be happy to represent you. 

Executive Board: Jamie Schwartz- I attended MSOP Labor Management, E-Board Meeting, and the General Membership Meeting. I, along with Nick Weerts went around to some of the units to educate them on contract negotiations and pay inequity and what everything means. We plan on going around and hitting up more units this Saturday. If you have questions, please ask, nothing worse than spreading rumors and false information. Reminder to please send me your grievances and responses.

Jamie Schwartz, E-Board

Pexton 2 North Lead


Executive Board: Mike Hohenstein-

Executive Board: Steaed Doehring-For November - I presented at New Member Orientation, attended the MSOP labor management meeting, our local E-Board and General membership meetings.

I will be attending the negotiations assembly in January, thank you for the opportunity to attend. I will be strongly advocating for the pay increases that we all need and deserve.

Motion to adjourn by Matt, 2nd by Ben. Motion Passes

Meeting Adjourned at 5:05pm