6/10/10 Local 404 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Present: Molly Kennedy, Jill Gorman, Connie Anderson, Chuck Carlson, John Knobbe, Ann Sullivan (Recorder), Michelle Rodning, Josh Coopman, Thad (TJ) Ehlenfeldt, Shannon Pech, Kevin Graves, Greg Naumann, Marlow Grau, Betty Davis, Bonnie Enz, Jeremy Tubbs, Sam Arneson, Britta Higginbotham, Timothy Anderson, Annie Thelen, Matt Stenger, Mark Heilman, Steaed Doehring, Jonas Thompson

Terry Morrow spoke at the beginning of the meeting. He wanted to thank AFSCME members for the support given lobbying at the capital. Having staff there when meeting with SOS management really helps to nail down issues. Terry also stressed the need for a democratic governor. Volunteers needed for things such as phone banks or door knocking.

Any local issues- call Terry and tell him how he can help!

Chuck reminded members that Terry helps us out tons and urged people to continue to support him.

Union chair officers have “reminder to vote” cards available and will be handing them out. When filled out, please submit them to Chuck Carlson or John Knobbe and they will turn them in.

Molly Kennedy and Bonnie Enz will be writing letters to the editor of the St. Peter Herald thanking Terry for his support. Josh Coopman will be sending a letter supporting Kathy Sheran.

1.Secretaries Report:--May meeting minutes- Additions or Corrections? Motion to accept by John Knobbe, second by Molly Kennedy, then carried.

Correspondence Review

SEALC Field Organizer Position Posting

Congressional Candidate screening


AFL-CIO marchers for Pride Parade

PEOPLE Donations for Boston Marathon

Appeal to Arbitration Letter - May 25th

Withdraw from Arbitration Letter – June 3rd

May 2010 Per cap and PEOPLE Report

Arbitration Award Letters (DHS and DOT)

April and May First Report of Injury Notices

AFSCME International Audit Report and Quarterly Report

2.Presidents Report:

•FD M&C today- Minutes will be posted - Any questions, please see Chuck Carlson or John Collins

•CARE Meeting- Minutes will be posted - Any questions, please see Chuck Carlson or Kevin Graves

•MSOP Quarterly

3.Old Business:

1.Progressive Dues Change- Voting will take place at the July general membership meeting.

*This may be delayed depending on what the International decides to do. The union asked the members present what they would like to do and they would like to move forward with the progressive dues and not delay until 2013.

Article IV?

Membership and Dues:

Section 3.?

The bi-weekly membership dues of the local shall be?117?% of the individual hourly rate.? In addition, the dues rates shall be adjusted annually by an amount equal to one-half (1/2) each pay period of the increase in per capita tax of the International and Council 5, since the last adjustment took place.? The dues shall be recomputed each January.

2.Steward Re-certification

1.There will be re-certification for current union stewards who wish to continue being stewards. It will be on June 18th and June 25th from 9am-1pm and 3pm-7pm. Non –attendance in one of these four training sessions will result in being removed from the steward list. Anyone that has issues or conflicts should contact Chuck Carlson. The trainers will be Molly Kennedy, Chuck Carlson, John Collins, and John Knobbe. Stewards will be paid a ½ day of per diem for training.

2.Extended campus steward re-certification will be in the next quarter- likely in August. Kevin Graves will put this together, more details to come.

Training will be held at the St. Peter Community Center in the Traverse Room. Food will be provided. All stewards need to reply!

4.New Business

No new business this month.

5.Items from the membership: Britta Higginbotham read a letter from Travis Caven regarding the Adopt a Soldier program. Travis was concerned that the union was not going to continue with this program as it was decided at last months meeting to take care of our members that are on military leave. The union will continue to follow through with this program as well as sending packages to AFSCME members on leave. The Adopt a Soldier program is $25 per month. Bills should be forwarded to Connie Anderson and she will pay them. Britta Higginbotham and Michelle Rodning will work on sending packages to our members. Britta has sent one package to Joe Biehn and will submit the receipt to Connie for reimbursement.

Social Committee: The Chamber needs a check for the 4th of July parade. Connie Anderson will take care of this.

Last year we had a budget of $400 for the parade for candy and supplies. We ended up running out of candy. A motion was made by Ann Sullivan for a budget of $600 for the parade this year. Motion second by Molly Kennedy, then carried.

Michelle Rodning will contact Jennifer Munt at Council 5 and see if she has t-shirts that they may be able to donate for the parade. Anyone interested in helping decorate the float should contact Michelle Rodning, as decorating will take place at her house. We will be meeting at Molly Kennedy’s house at 10am on the 4th of July to line up for the parade

Officers Reports:

VP-John Knobbe: “In the last month I’ve sat 2 investigations @ Christensen House. We had our 1/4ly joint MSOP Meet and Confer in St. Paul. I’ve sat a local investigation, a non-cert, and we had Forensic Meet and Confer today. We have also been working on language for e-board expectations.

I presented 6 3rd steps to management today. 2 involved denied mutuals, 2 were from Christensen House, one non-cert, and finally one on management’s re-interpretation of rescinding vacation.

We will keep all informed of outcomes.

In Solidarity

W. John Knobbe”

VP- Molly Kennedy: “In MSOP there has been a ton of movement with job openings. With that days off have been changing as well. Since no one has access to all of the schedules (except for the Pexton locker room) if you think that someone less senior than you has better days off please contact a member of the union to look into it.

We have MSOP Meet & Confer next Thursday and some of the topics of discussion are OT sign up & process, follow up on the Shantz locker room, asking for 40 hour vacation and the new process, and update on new hires. If anyone has concerns to bring forward please email me.

We will be presenting 6 step 3 grievances this month; 5 on disciplines, 1 on FT vs. .8 status.

In Solidarity

Molly Kennedy “

Treasurer-Connie Anderson: Motion to accept subject to audit by Greg Naumann, second by Britta Higginbotham, then carried.

CS MSH/Transition: John Collins: “I just want to remind everyone also that we need to remember the good things that State Senator Kathy Sheran has done for us also. If you get a chance drop her a note of thanks and if you are interested she is looking for help with her campaign, particularly getting some yard signs out and doing some literature drops.

I attended the most recent Violence Prevention Task Force meeting and the core of the meeting was spent discussing relationships particularly line staff and management. The points were made that to do this management needs to get out and spend more time face-to-face with staff, and how emails and such are not the best ways to communicate.”

CS-AMH/CARE: Kevin Graves: Kevin was finally able to meet with management to submit 3rd step grievances. A 3rd step grievance was resolved; it was dropped from a 3 day suspension to a 2 day suspension. Any extended campus issues should be sent to Kevin.

CS- NOCs/CRP: Jeremy Tubbs: Nights has been quiet lately. The scheduled breaks issue on MSOP 1st watch has become a non-issue. Jeremy assisted in presenting a grievance for CRP last month and won.

CS – Forensic Nursing Home : Jill Gorman: “There has been an ongoing investigation in the nursing home/physical plant areas.

Rumors of closing the laundry dept on campus and having Faribault Corrections do our laundry.”

CS – MSOP : Matt Stenger: A grievance was presented regarding a RPA vacation issue and was won as a step 2.

EB-Steaed Doehring: It has been quiet in his area.

EB-Greg Naumann: Greg urged all staff to look at the new seniority rosters that were sent out and contact him with any questions or problems. Greg continues to monitor the roster and bid tracking.

EB- Eric Ridout: excused.

Good and Welfare: Katie Trimbo, Joe Biehn, Jerrad Aspelund, Vickey Fahey, Steve Smisek, Bryn Jarcho, Lori Nielsen, Rick Pitts, Joe Biehn, Shawn Schultz, Theresa Lambrecht, Mary Isakson, Deanna Stoll, Michelle Blaschko

CLU delegate report:

Nothing new to report.

Council 5 Field Representative Scott Grefe:

AFSCME did a fine job at the legislative session. Scott has a seat on the SOS re-design task force which will be concentrating on building a bridge to the election.

DHS is always at the top of the list for budget cuts. We need to talk to people and let them know the importance of voting. AFSCME postcards are available to be filled out for a reminder to vote.

A labor friendly candidate elect would help restore dignity and respect for our jobs. This starts at the Primary and continues to the General election.

Message to Members: Your Vote Counts!

Drawing for door prizes: Jill Gorman, Kevin Graves, Michelle Rodning, Bonnie Enz, Tim Anderson, Josh Coopman

Progressive Drawing: $440. Must be present to win!

Stephanie Gilberto-not present.

Next months drawing $450!!

Meeting Adjourned at 11:53pm