10/15/15 Local 404 General Membership Meeting Minutes

Matt Stenger, Molly Kennedy, Shannon Pech, Tim Headlee, Amanda Mathiowetz, Luke Frederick, Stacey Mueller, James Hemshrot, Mike Homer, Marvin Sullivan, Ryan Cates, Joe Frey, Kelly Woelpern, Mark Menke, Steve Wilking

1. Secretary’s Report: Motion by Marvin Sullivan to approve Secretary’s meeting minutes from September, 2015. 2nd by Molly Kennedy, motion passed.

2. Treasurer-Connie Anderson: STATEMENT OF INCOME AND EXPENSES FOR MONTH ENDING September 2015 Motion to accept subject to audit by Molly Kennedy, 2nd by Marvin Sullivan. Motion passed CASH BALANCE BEGINNING OF MONTH: $ 57985.40 INCOME FOR THE MONTH: $ 5658.15 EXPENSES FOR THE MONTH: $ 6801.78 CASH BALANCE ENDING OF MONTH: $ 56841.77 SUBMITTED BY: Connie Anderson

3. Correspondence: • At the Executive Board meeting there was a new procedure and some standards discussed when it comes to good and welfare. It was decided in May 2015 that for the death of an AFSCME member $100 would be donated, $75 for immediate family member. For other donate able causes it would be expected that the member asking give a presentation to the General Membership Meeting. The E Board will then discuss at the next month’s E Board meeting. What they come up with will be presented to the General Membership meeting to vote on. • We would like to update the Steward list. We are a large enough local that we can branch out to another title, like Advocate, for those Stewards who do not like to sit investigations. An email was sent out by Stacey Mueller about this. Those who do not respond we will assume that they would prefer to be an Advocate. We still encourage people to go through Steward Training to get an awareness and to educate themselves. Also, Steward communication needs improvement. Whenever you sit an investigation the fact sheet or some sort of report should be sent to the Chief Steward. • We would like to have a Union Training for current stewards. This would be a 404 Conference and would be two days. This will help us to all get on the same page. For those unable to attend notes will be taken but it must be communicated that you are unable to attend. More information to come. • We need to start streamlining the grievance process and get caught up with technology. We will have to be very careful because we want to get everything off the state server. Luke Frederick and Matt Stenger will discuss this further. • We NEED people to volunteer for the Bureau of Immediate Response. This will set precedence for everything. This is coming from the Governor and if he sees we have no participants it will be seen that we have gone as far as we can. We need to clean this up now and this is our one big shot. Please contact Tim Headlee or Matt Stenger.

4. New Business: • Please see this month’s meeting minutes. http://www.union404.com/index.cfm?action=cat&categoryID=a51b59c8-e87c-4c...

5. Old Business:

6. Items from the membership:

7. Officer Reports

Presidents Report: Hello, Most recently Mr. Stenger and I have been attending the “Minnesota Security Hospital Collaborative Problem Solving Process” which has been established by the “Minnesota Bureau of Mediation Services”. There have been three full group meetings within this process in which the meeting summaries have been posted on the Forensics SharePoint site for your review. From the full group you will recognize 5 sub-groups have been developed that request/require your participation. Several invites have been set out welcoming your attendance. I cannot express enough the importance of these 5 sub-groups, (Communications, Organizational Wellness, Person Centered Approach and Staff Safety, Resident Appropriateness, and Staffing) so if not already please volunteer your time and expertise as you feel best suited. (Thank you). Myself and Mr. Stenger have also attended a meeting in regards to the (Rule 36) Term 9/Variance for the Minnesota Security Hospital. Another meeting will be held further reviewing this variance on the date of 11/6/15 from 9:30am to 12:30pm. Please also review the: “MSH Meet & Confer / Rochester & Saint Peter CBHH” meeting minutes. Last but not least, if you have been injured on duty or have suffered an injury on duty and are unable to return to work please contact our AFSCME Field Rep (Chris Hanson) 300 Hardman Ave. South St Paul MN 55075, Office- 651-287-0557, Cell - 651-238-7591. Chris and Local 404 are interested in your experience as in our near future want to help improve this process across DHS. That including “Work Place Relations” ensuring this recognized and remains equitable and adhered to on all levels of DHS as signed. In Solidarity, Headlee, Tim MSH unit 700 SCL, AFSCME Local 404 President, 985-2700, 985-2342, cell: 469-5609. http://www.union404.com/

VP- Matt Stenger:

VP- Molly Kennedy: This last month was really we really concentrated on answering questions on the proposed contract. I tried to put out a document that broke down some of the raise and insurance stuff. On August 25th the votes were counted and by 84% our contract was approved by AFSCME. Now it will go to the legislature to get it voted in or rejected, I will get that information out as soon as I hear something. Thanks to everyone who came and took the time to vote!!! We will be have a steward/contract class that will be offered 2 different days in October. We decided on Tuesday October 6th as on one of the days and Friday October 9th as the other. These classes will be from 8am-4pm at a location TBA. You will need to have the day off from work to attend either of these classes. We would really like to see more people get involved and get a better understanding of the contract. Please contact Molly Kennedy if you would like to attend either of these trainings. Please see www.union404.com for the MSOP meet and confer meeting minutes.

Molly Kennedy Vice President Steward Coordinator AFSCME Local 404

Executive Board: Marvin Sullivan

Executive Board: Adam Castle

Executive Board: James Hemshrot

CS MSH/Transition: Ryan Cates

CS CBHH / CARE & MSOP: Eric Hesse For MSOP, I’ve got four Step 3 grievances going on pertaining to discipline. I’ve also been trying to shore up management publicly embarrassing employees when they are getting disciplined, in which they weren’t too receptive of. I’ve also been trying to get OT paid to those who were scheduled to work on 10/24 in regards to management failing to put the schedule out with 14 days in advance of when it took effect.

For the Nursing Home, I’ve had several grievances of late about improper inversing at the Nursing Home due to short-staffing. I represented a 3rd Step grievance regarding a discipline that was originally presented in June. I’ve had discussions with management regarding a post on a SharePoint site that were if a person refused an inverse, even if they could not be inversed, that it could be considered resident abandonment. We will have further discussions with management about this.

For Transition, I’ve been working on grievances pertaining to switching full-time staff’s scheduling patterns because they are short-staffed and inquiring why this practice is only being done in Transition. I’ve also been working on them eliminating vacation for AFSCME employees during the weekend next summer.

As always, I’m always available to talk to if anybody has any concerns or issues, so feel free to contact me.

In solidarity, Eric Hesse


CS Nursing Home: Luke Frederick CS MSH / CRP / Nursing Nights: Shannon Pech CLU delegate report- Council 5 Field Representative Chris Hanson:

Motion to adjourn meeting by Molly Kennedy at 4:13 pm, 2nd by James Hemshrot.